Manasquan Beach Improvement Association



MBIA Trustees Attending our 2017 Annual Meeting
Minutes from the 1/13/18 Trustees Meeting 





MBIA Trustees Meeting Minutes
January 13, 2018


​TRUSTEES PRESENT: Julie Cocozza, Janice Gaswind, Pat Merz, Bennie O’Grady, John O’Grady, Mary Ryan, Al Sauer, Alex Worth, Bette Worth, Helen Young and Bob Young.

 
Mary Ryan opened the meeting at 8:30 am. This is the first meeting at our new location at the Life Saving Station.

The minutes of the 11/11/17 meeting were approved via the internet.  

Old Business:
Update on Dog sign, police presence, tickets. It appears the MPD is now issuing tickets for violations. Ryan Quigley is the Special Officer who has been assigned and has been very diligent.
Meeting with MHS Art teachers – Alexis Herman, Nicole Caravella, Carolyn Treney. We have not heard back from the teachers since Helen dropped off the graffiti free paint in November. Helen had contacted Alexis at that time and urged her to follow the instructions exactly on the anti graffiti paint in order for it to be effective. Helen will contact Alexis for an update on the project.
$300 Hurricane Donation “Thank You” from Save the Children
Candy Cane Hunt – was very successful. We received a verbal thank you for the donation. Bennie, Helen and Bob gave out the gifts donated by the MBIA.  
MHS Surf Team recognition. The Trustees had voted to contribute $100 to the team in recognition of their success at the last meeting. In investigating how to make the donation, it was determined the team does a couple of fund raisers and asks for sponsors. Mary suggested the MBIA should sponsor their competition over the summer. The Trustees agreed this was a good way to make the donation. Julie will make contact.

Reports:
Mary – membership at 332 (253 last year)
Bennie – beachwalk lighting. Nothing new to report. If no new information becomes available, Bennie will put together a package of what is currently available.
Helen & Bob - Mary, Helen and Bob met with Jeff on 12/4. Bob summarized the discussion indicating Mary kicked off the meeting saying we wanted to present some items so there is sufficient time to address them prior to next summer. We inquired about the status of the Potter’s Beach opening. While the Borough thought there had been an agreement with the homeowner in question, they have since hired an attorney to oppose the Borough in recouping 8” along the walk. We asked if the crosswalk at Stockton and 1st could be reconfigured to eliminate pedestrians from walking into a resident’s driveway. We again requested that pedestrian signs be added at Brielle & 3rd Ave. as well as 2nd Ave. at Riddle and Stockton. We asked what the responsibilities are of the beach patrol riding in the golf cart at night. We expressed concern there is a lack of enforcement at the beach. Since the Beach Dept. is hiring retired law enforcement personnel, Jeff indicated they are considering sending them to an 8 hour course so they would qualify as Special Officers who can write tickets. We discussed motorized bikes, skateboards, etc. on the beach walk as well as smoking and tents on the beach. Bob mentioned a number of his neighbors complained about alcohol consumption on the beach last summer. We stated universally our trustees believe code enforcement isn’t as visible on Saturdays and Sundays as they once were. Jeff was a bit surprised that we had not seen sweeps being utilized. Jeff was very enthusiastic about the idea of MBIA members volunteering to spruce of Borough or residential property at the beach. (We agreed a Saturday in mid May would be the ideal date. Ann e-mail soliciting suggesting will be send out shortly.) We discussed the last weekend in September when we did not have a lifeguard presence and there were a number of rescues. Jeff assured us there would be coverage in 2018 before and after the season as well as after hours if needed. Mary mentioned she would like the beach employees to have name tags so they can be identified and to promote professionalism. We discussed plans for Sea Watch where a public – private partnership is being explored. The Borough is taking over the 3 bungalows in April and there is discussion on what if anything can be done with the structures. Jeff does not think a new structure(s) can be built there due to the proximity of a transatlantic cable. Lastly, we expressed concern of beach vehicles speeding on the walk and the beach. 
Diana – Derelict houses. Nothing to report.
Bob – website hits for 2017 were in line with 2016. The annual domain cost is $30 and the monthly website cost is $7.99.

New Business:
Treasurer’s Report – Al indicated there has been very little activity.
Beach Committee – Joe Bossone, Mike Mangan & Jim Walsh
Summer 2018 party at SBLSS – when, theme? Pat described the party she had attended at the SBLSS late last summer. We agreed upon a cocktail party in the summer. The museum is open on Sunday from 2-4 p.m. Pat to determine when the SBLSS is having the annual fundraiser and if the folks are okay if we set-up while the museum is open. We will tentatively shoot for August or Sept. Mary indicated we need to make a decision on the date in March in order to get the Council approval and a one day liquor license.  
Glimmer Glass Bridge – the Borough has gotten a promise from the County that the bridge will be open in the summer. The bridge is currently out of commission due to various unsafe conditions. Mary believes the County will unveil their final recommendation to the Council on the bridge in March. The state, federal and historical preservation groups would then have to weigh in on the recommendation. Bennie and others expressed concern that we are blocked from our homes with all of the races and the bridge being out. Flooding on Main Street is an additional issue. The Trustees expressed concern with traffic if the bridge is not operational by the summer.  
Offshore Drilling – MBRC Bob Duerr initiative / Borough Council resolution. Organizations are being encouraged to attend the Council meeting on Tuesday 1/16 when the Council will vote on a resolution. A discussion of the trustees ensued. Six voted in favor and five trustees abstained from a vote on supporting a ban on offshore drilling in New Jersey. The motion carried.  
New Trustee candidates. Heather Schofield who attended our September meeting has expressed an interest in joining the Trustees. Heather is a vocal voice and considerably younger. She spends a lot of time on weekends attending her daughter’s hockey and traveling lacrosse games but does not see a problem meeting the obligations of a trustee. Heather was approved unanimously.
MBIA volunteer day. Bob has received favorable feedback from Ed Donovan, Jeff Lee and Joe Bossone. He also spoke to Barbara Ilaria who indicated we have to list the activities we want to undertake before seeking Council approval on any work on Borough property. At our December meeting, Jeff had suggested we come up with suggested activities and then meet with Borough officials to agree upon the list. We would also be willing to assist beach homeowners who are unable to spruce up the exterior of their properties. Bob will put together a draft memo to go out to the membership asking for ideas on what can be done and enlisting volunteers. Mary will send out the final memo to the membership shortly.
Items from the Floor:
Snow clearing. Some trustees complained about the snow removal at the beach.  
Street cleaning. Can the Borough notify residents when they plan to clean streets? When previously queried, the Borough indicted when they had to change their plans at the last minute they received a number of complaints.
Donation to the SBLSS. The trustees agreed upon a onetime donation of $100.

The meeting was adjourned.

The next Trustee’s Meeting will be on Saturday, March 10, 2018 at the Life Saving Station.












































































































































































































































































































MBIA Bridge Committee Presentation to Manasquan Borough Council - 10/01/12
GLIMMER GLASS BRIDGE REPORT
BY MANASQUAN BEACH IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION
Council Presentation October 1, 2012

- Studies show bridge falling apart and MUST be replaced; Childs independent? study; Cycle 14 draft report.
- HISTORIC REGISTRY DOES NOT MEAN BRIDGE CAN'T BE REPLACED.
- Originally built as a wooden trestle bridge (without a draw) over 100 years ago before cars; 16 feet wide, 585 feet long.
- Draw span (20 feet wide) built over 100 years ago for spanning Pt. Pleasant Canal (before cars).
- Draw span installed in wooden trestle in 1938; originally hand operated.
- Completely rebuilt in 1950; entire bridge raised 5 feet; shortened to 279 feet; motorized; more counterweights added.
- Numerous repairs and replacements to date; only original parts are two sheaves (wheels at to
- Placed on State and Federal Historic Registers in 2008.
- Historic significance is technology (rolling counterweight design) and aesthetics being preserved by County compromise.
- Bridge is in such bad condition, none of the structure can be salvaged; all piles, supports, bridge deck will be thrown away.
- Estimated life of a new wooden bridge is 35-50 years; estimated life of the proposed bridge is 75 years.
- County traffic count July 9-15, 2007: 6,480 average daily vehicles; 5,905 average weekday vehicles; 7,726 average weekend vehicles.
- MBIA traffic count May 26, 2012 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.: 4,138 vehicles; 688 bicycles; 21 skateboards; 372 pedestrians; traffic stopped 4:24 hours;     open 5:36 hours; 10:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m., traffic stopped 3:30 hours; open 2:30 hours.
- Road is almost becoming impassable in summer due to opening/closing taking so long; long lines of cars.
- Safety is most important issue for vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. Complete Streets.
- Current standards: two 12 foot width lanes; two 4 foot wide shoulders.
- Main access for residents living south of Brielle Road and for Brielle and Point Pleasant emergency response.
- The County has been working out a plan for the bridge since the early 1990 Asbury Park Press, 8-17-07.
- Project authorized 4-14-94 for $1,000,000.00; studies to date over $700,000.00.
- Wooden bridge would have CCA and AZCA (arsenic).
- Brielle Resolution 8-18-03 (#111-03) and Manasquan Resolution 9-8-03 (#03-70-A) call for complete replacement of bridge.
- Manasquan Resolution 5-19-08 (#69-08) to repair, rehabilitate or replace bridge ASAP; provide for pedestrians and bicycles; preserve character; 
- Issues of public safety should be treated as paramount to other considerations.
- No more delays; we must act NOW.




Please see the MBIA Bridge Committee Presentation to Manasquan Borough Counctil on below
Kneeling (left to right):  Bob Young, Julie Cocozza, Standing: Alex Worth, Linda Sims, Janice Gaswind, Joan Harriman, Helen Young, Bette Worth, Sue Federico, Mary Ryan, Bennee O'Grady, John O'Grady, Pat Merz, Al Sauer.  Not pictured Rob Richard & Diana Carroll.